With over 8,000 copies in use, this curriculum is the #1 orientation training to support adults with disabilities in their home communities. What makes this manual stand out? Unlike many materials, this book is approachable and concise. It covers practical information and reflects current thinking, from natural supports to self-determination. From working in residential supports to day programs, to supported employment, recreation, and other support systems, Enhancing the Lives covers the needed values and principles for new staff. It includes the impact of a disability on the life of a person and family,a review of community living and normalization, an overview of principles of behavior change, highlights of teaching and learning, principles of health and safety, and a discussion of empowerment, rights, and advocacy. Each section ends with a post-test designed to see if the reader both recalls and understands the concepts presented.
- Readable, well-organized, nice lay-out.
- Excellent – much better than any other such tool that I have seen.
- Sensitively focuses on most difficult challenges. Use of respectful language has had a strong modeling effect on new staff.
- This should be used with all new employees.
- Covers almost all aspects of issues related to life of those with disabilities.
- Clear and understandable examples.
- One of the most concise and readable documents for both professionals and para-professionals